As written before, back in the day (1996/1997) I registered a bunch of generic domains, that are pretty valuable. The last few weeks a company chased me down for one of the domains. The domain is a generic .de domain (Germany) and ranks in the top 3 in the SERPs in a very competitive niche.
Unfortunately for the last 24 months I could not motivate myself working on the project/domain. I was just too busy and had no interest in working in this field
Here are my pros and cons:
- $40k for a German .de domain is pretty good
- I have absolutely no time or interest to keep on working in this niche.
- The company, who is interested in buying, would definitely offer better content than I will ever be able to do (unless I hire a bunch of writers, who are educated in this niche).
- In the near future sold domains might not transfer any SEO value (-> domain value will go down).
- It's recession and the BMW dealer down the road needs some business
- I don't really need the money,
b/c I live pretty cheap and drive a 12 years old car
- The monthly income is nice, especially that I do absolutely nothing for it and will probably keep on coming in for years.
- The domain would go in the US ( english content and .com) for a 6 or low 7-digit amount.
- Probably biggest con: My beautiful wife saw the offer and loves to feed her low-interest savings account ;-)
Would you sell a domain for the sake of the web ...or just because it makes financial sense?